brianmartin

Gurglings of a Putrid Stream

Thoughts on books and other assorted topics.

See also:  http://goppf.wikidot.com/swstart

My name:  Brian Martin

The I Walked With a Zombie Grab Bag

Zombie

The dialogue with which I began my review was not part of the original script. Not if the script online is accurate. Makes me wonder if was ad-libbed at some point and added later.

The cocktail referred to had only become well-known in 1939 -- at the New York World's Fair, of all places. I've never had one, but, being a rum man, I'm now curious. Here's the closest thing to its original recipe:

"Juice of 1 lime, unsweetened pineapple juice, bitters, 1 ounce heavily bodied rum, 2 ounces of Gold Label rum, 1 ounce of White Label rum, 1 ounce of apricot-flavored brandy, 1 ounce of papaya juice"

Zombie, indeed.

Oh, and by the way, whatever happened to World's Fairs?

Ritual

I'm always impressed when native and/or ritual dances in movies look more than cursorily choreographed. That is the case here. I have no idea whether this makes them more or less authentic, but I certainly appreciate them more. The one here is delightfully synchronized, and the more powerful for it.

Donovan's Brain

My books are everywhere, stacked and piled and overflowing. I find books because I typically have a picture in my mind of where they are. Donovan's Brain, however, has stymied me. I wanted to read it not long ago, but the picture in my head, while it lead to another book by Curt Siodmak, proved false. I find this upsetting, but even worse is that several searches of the most likely places it could be have all turned up negative. Where is my book?!