brianmartin

Gurglings of a Putrid Stream

Thoughts on books and other assorted topics.

See also:  http://goppf.wikidot.com/swstart

My name:  Brian Martin

Brimstone by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child

Brimstone - Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child

“A body is found in the attic of a fabulous Long Island estate. There is a hoofprint scorched into the floor, and the stench of sulfur chokes the air.…[T]hirty years ago four men conjured something unspeakable. Has the devil come to claim his due?” These are the liner notes for Preston and Child’s novel Brimstone, and if you liked the authors’ first novel, Relic, which is about a monster loose in the bowels of New York City's American Museum of Natural History, you might be thinking you’ll like this supernatural thriller, as well. There’s only one problem: nothing supernatural ever happens. Not a thing. In fact, we might as well make that two problems, because the book isn’t terribly thrilling, either, despite the re-teaming of FBI Agent Pendergast and cop Vincent D’Agosta. A missing Stradivarius and a religious zealot, as well as throwaway references to the works of better writers (Stephen King, Wilkie Collins), are used, like the religious/supernatural trappings of the main storyline, to distract us from the fact that nothing relevant is occurring. Alternately dull and frustrating, this is a short story stretched to 700 pages.