brianmartin

Gurglings of a Putrid Stream

Thoughts on books and other assorted topics.

See also:  http://goppf.wikidot.com/swstart

My name:  Brian Martin

Five Thoughts

1. A female Thor. Please. And I didn't even read Thor as a kid. Nor do I have anything against female superheroes. In fact, my favorite Avenger wasn't Thor or Captain America or Ironman; it was the Scarlet Witch. Because she was, like, a witch and stuff.

2. One of the many things that separate film and TV in a very special way from books is the musical montage. When editing, situation, mood, and music combine so beautifully that the result is two or three minutes of perfection. For my money, the best few minutes of Lost, which I just recently finished re-watching, occurs at the opening of Season 2, Episode 1, when Desmond Hume goes about his daily ritual to the accompaniment of Mama Cass Elliot's "Make Your Own Kind of Music." (http://vimeo.com/13158705)

3. On a related note, ever wonder why "cool" film and TV characters are often blues/jazz fans? I don't know it for a fact, but I have suspicion. I think it's because blues/jazz music comes at a much lower cost than rock/pop. And I find that disturbing in the sense that it perpetuates a stereotype (intelligent and/or sensitive types prefer this type of music) not because of whatever truth there is in the trope but because of simple economics. The "truth" here is a lie. Poor (or perhaps greedy) people should listen to blues/jazz. That's the real truth.

4. I have a neighbor one of whose trees has become the nesting place of a couple of exotic birds. She tried to hose them out. Why? Because they're defecating on her driveway. Clearly, somebody missed the satire in the Monkees' "Pleasant Valley Sunday." If it *is* all about appearances, I'd rather my house looked good to exotic birds than to random people driving down the street. (Although even I have limits. I have another neighbor about a block away whose yard is a crazy jungle of brush and trees. We've lived here more than a decade and the homemade sign this guy put in his yard has been there the entire time. It reads, "Martha Stewart is out here somewhere.")

5. Conceptions of utopia baffle me because, or so I presume, they come from people who believe human beings possess free will. If humans have free will, then *this* world is utopia. For what more could one ask than to have control of one's destiny?